New York, NY - Highlights from the September 9, 2003 meeting of the AKC Delegates are as follows:
· Elections were held to fill vacancies on the Delegate Standing Committees. Following the Delegate Meeting the Chair and Secretary of each committee was elected.
· Chapter 14, Section 10 of the Field Trial Rules and Standard Procedure for Retrievers was amended to limit Derby Stakes to marked retrieves and to eliminate dogs handled from competition. The same section was amended to create an Owner-Handler Qualifying Stake.
· Six Delegates were honored for having served in that capacity for 25 years. The honorees were Samuel Evans Ewing, III of the Irish Wolfhound Club of America, Linda M. Lacchia of the Queensboro Kennel Club, George Roos, Jr. of the Old Dominion Kennel Club, Lynette J. Saltzman of the American Shetland Sheepdog Association, George D. Sexton of the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of the United States, and Barbara Wicklund of the Basset Hound Club of America.
· The Long Island Kennel Club was honored for 100 years as a member of the American Kennel Club.
· The Parson Russell Terrier Association of America, Sagehen's Retriever Club of San Francisco, and the Sammamish Kennel Club of Redmond, WA were elected as Members of the American Kennel Club.