Adverts: 0161 709 4576 - Editorial: 0161 709 4571
Mail Order: 0161 709 4578 - Subs: 0161 709 4575 - Webteam: 0161 709 4567
Sniffer dog Todd dies of suspected drug overdose


Sniffer dog Todd with handler PC Roger Moore

A POLICE sniffer dog died of a suspected amphetamine overdose after he went searching for drugs. Todd, a seven-year-old black and white springer spaniel, became ill after searching a field and car in Preston, Lancs.

Pc Roger Moore, Todd's handler, noticed that the dog was unwell about an hour after they finished the job on July 24th.

Lancashire Police said that a vet confirmed that Todd's symptoms were similar to those seen in previous cases where amphetamines had been ingested.

The dog, who lived with PC Moore, his wife and two children, was rushed to the animal unit at Liverpool University but died several hours later.

A Preston dog unit spokesman said that PC Moore and his family were devastated by Todd's death.

"He lived with them and they would all go for walks with him - he was their dog. It was a shock for them.

"He was a little bit daft, like all springers are, but they are good working dogs and they are very, very keen. Todd is going to be very difficult to replace, but police work is dangerous and Todd has become as casualty in the line of duty." No drugs were found during the search of the car and police are now waiting for results of a post mortem examination.