-- Six Additional Breeds To Be Recorded by AKC Foundation Stock Service --
As of January 1, 2005 the Tibetan Mastiff will be eligible to compete in the Miscellaneous Class at AKC events. Breeds in the Miscellaneous Class may compete and earn titles in AKC Obedience, Tracking, and Agility events as well as Junior Showmanship.
- Tibetan Mastiff – considered by many to be the basic stock from which most modern large working breeds have developed. There is little recorded about the genetic heritage of the Tibetan Mastiff and, like the people of the high Himalayan Mountains and the plains of Central Asia, much of their history is described only in legend. It is believed, however, that these dogs remained isolated on the high plateaus and valleys of the Himalayas to develop into the magnificent animal so highly prized by the people of Tibet. Today, the Tibetan Mastiff is a highly intelligent, independent, strong-willed and rather reserved dog. He is aloof with strangers and highly protective of his charges and his property.
"We could not be more pleased to see this ancient, magnificent breed join the ranks of so many of its descendants in the AKC,” said Karol Croft, President , American Tibetan Mastiff Association. “If you look into the eyes of a Tibetan Mastiff, you’ll see their ancient wisdom, humor, and tolerance, and immediately understand why the Tibetan people and Tibetan monks have revered this dog for thousands of years."
Additionally, six breeds have recently been accepted into the AKC’s Foundation Stock Service (FSS), bringing the total number of FSS breeds to 49. FSS is an optional recording service for purebred dogs that are not yet eligible for AKC registration. Being recorded by FSS or another accepted registry is one of the first steps towards full AKC registration, however registration is not guaranteed.
- Estrela Mountain Dog (Working group designation)
- Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen (Hound group designation)
- Kooikerhondje (Sporting group designation)
- Mudi (Herding group designation)
- Portuguese Podengo (Hound group designation)
- Rat Terrier (Terrier group designation)