support for AKC reponsible dog ownership day
In honor of AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day on September 17, 2004, the AKC and many of its affiliated clubs have received support – in the form or proclamations and congratulatory letters -- from numerous government officials, including the governors of Alaska, North Carolina, and California. At least seven proclamations and one letter of congratulations have been received in recognition of local events.
AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day aims to educate dog owners about canine ownership and help them enhance their relationships with their pets. Nearly 450 events are being held by AKC clubs and other pet-related organizations throughout the month of September.
The following acknowledgements have been received to date:
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California sent a letter of congratulations to fanciers Janice Anderson and Lesly Blanton of Anderson Acres in Bakersfield, CA., and Bakersfield Mayor Harvey Hall will be attending and presenting a “Responsible Dog Ownership Day” proclamation to Anderson Acres on September 19, 2004.
- Governor Michael Easley of North Carolina , and Mayor Charles Meeker of Raleigh proclaimed September 17, 2004 as "AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day." The staff of AKC’s Raleigh office has been hard at work soliciting the proclamations and is planning an event on Saturday, September 18 th.
- Governor Frank Murkowski of Alaska and Mayor Bruce Bothelo of Juneau, AK proclaimed August 28, 2004 “Responsible Dog Ownership Day” in conjunction with an event held by the Grateful Dogs of Juneau.
- Mayor Jerry Dehnbostel of Wauseon, Ohio proclaimed September 24-26, 2004 “Responsible Dog Ownership Weekend” in conjunction with events being held there by fancier David Swank.
- Mayor Thomas J. Carlson of Springfield, Missouri will attend and present a “Responsible Dog Ownership Day” proclamation to the MidAmerica Miniature Schnauzer Rescue on September 18, 2004.
- Mayor Fred B. Cavanaugh, Jr. of Aiken, South Carolina will present a proclamation declaring September 17 th, “Responsible Dog Ownership Day” to Wanda Gipp of Aiken Dog Sports.
- Mayor Norm Archibald of Abilene, Texas will proclaim September 25 as “Responsible Dog Ownership Day” at a City Counsel meeting on September 23. The Abilene Kennel Club arranged for the proclamation.
- Mayor Keith McDonald of Bartlett, Tennessee will attend a ceremony hosted by AKC Companion Animal Recovery and issue a proclamation in recognition of AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day on September 17. A local youngster, Brandon Freeze, will be honored with an award for his creation of mobile Pet First Aid Stations.