Adverts: 0161 709 4576 - Editorial: 0161 709 4571
Mail Order: 0161 709 4578 - Subs: 0161 709 4575 - Webteam: 0161 709 4567
In-Tents-Ive Care for puppy that swallowed tent peg

A THREE-month-old puppy from South Yorkshire needed emergency surgery after swallowing a metal tent peg almost as long as its body.

Vets discovered the 10.5in tent peg after Staffordshire Bull Terrier Disa was taken to a local surgery with a "stomach upset".

Staff were staggered when the X-ray taken at the Sheffield PDSA PetAid hospital revealed the true cause of her stomach problems and Disa immediately underwent life-saving surgery.
Owner Peter Jones, from Rotherham, South Yorkshire yesterday said he had just fed Disa, then put her outside in the garden to play before bringing her back in. But once inside, she started being sick and at first Mr Jones thought it was the food upsetting her. When her condition worsened, he took her to the local PDSA PetAid hospital.

Mr Jones said: "I was so shocked when the vet rang me to say they had discovered a 10-in tent peg in her abdomen. "I can't even understand how she managed to swallow it."

PDSA senior veterinary surgeon Liz Airey said: "I have never seen a case like this before and I have worked in small animal practice for 15 years. When Disa was first admitted, we suspected a foreign body may be to blame but didn't expect it to be so big."

Following surgery, Disa spent a night under observation at the Sheffield centre and then went home.

Mr Jones added that his young dog seemed none the worse. "The next day she was bouncing round like normal we were worried that her stitches would come out. She has made an amazing recovery and I'm really grateful to PDSA for all they have done."