Festival of the Saluki
AFTER THREE years of careful planning, the unique week long celebration of the Saluki is just days away, and co-ordinaters Marie Bryce-Smith (Saruk) and Helen Williams (Kasaque) doubt if they would have been brave (or foolhardy) enough to take on the challenge of organising this occasion had they realised then the sheer scale of the undertaking!
However, now Salukiphiles from all over the world are set to join with the Saluki or Gazelle Hound Club to celebrate one of the oldest breeds of dog in the world.
It started with the City of Birmingham and the journey will continue to take in three more Championship shows: The Northern Saluki Club on Sunday 2nd September; the Saluki or Gazelle Hound Club on Thursday 6th September, back to back with Richmond show on Friday 7th September.
Between the shows there are many other exciting events planned:
• Saturday September 1st sees the Symposium at Jesus College, Cambridge on The Past, Present and Future of the Saluki, led by an international panel of speakers. It is important that if you are bringing a dog to the Symposium it is important that you contact Di Allan by email: email@example.com or tel: 01234-708658.
• The official opening of the Saluki Art Exhibition at the Kennel Club will take place on Monday 3rd September, and this promises to be a truly stunning display.
• On Tuesday 4th September Helen and Michael Williams and John and Lisa Hudson will offer an open house hospitality to all, both couples would appreciate a call to facilitate catering.
• Wednesday 5th September sees a Kennel Club Gallery viewing combined with a finger buffet lunch.
• The Gala Dinner will be held on Friday 7th September in the beautiful Elizabethan Title Barn, tickets available to non-Saluki owners too. (Contact Marie Bryce-Smith on 01342-327573 for tickets to either of these events).
With so much planning and fund raising involved Helen and Marie could not possibly have brought their plans to fruition without the help of a small band of tireless helpers, the generosity of the SGHC members who gave sponsorship, donation and support over the last three years, the officers and committee of both City of Birmingham and Richmond DSS for the invaluable access to facilities at each of the venues.
They would also like to thank the Northern Saluki Club for moving their show date to the Festival week and the KC for allowing the staging of the Saluki Exhibition at the Gallery. This exhibition runs from 4th September 2007 to 16th January 2008.
For further details visit www.festivalofthesaluki2007.com or contact Helen Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marie Bryce Smith on 01342-327573.
OUR DOGS photographers John Jackson and Alan Walker will be at both breed club shows, so don’t forget to watch out for our special features on this memorable occasion