Adverts: 0161 709 4576 - Editorial: 0161 709 4571
Mail Order: 0161 709 4578 - Subs: 0161 709 4575 - Webteam: 0161 709 4567

Dogs Trust warns of hidden chocolate dangers

We may all be left wishing we hadn’t over indulged this Easter, but for your dog it could literally be a matter of life or death, warns Dogs Trust, the UK’s largest dog welfare charity.

They are urging pet owners not to give foil-wrapped goodies to their four legged friends this Easter. Not only could too much chocolate transform your pup into a porky pooch, it could lead to a serious case of chocolate poisoning.

Dogs Trust is advising dog owners that chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which, although harmless to humans, is extremely toxic to man’s best friend. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains.

Toxic doses vary according to the size of dog and cocoa solid content of the chocolate, but as a rough guide, Dogs Trust estimates that just 50g of plain chocolate (that’s one average sized chocolate bar) could be enough to kill a small dog, such as a Yorkshire Terrier. An average size dog could be killed by about 400g.

Although you may be tempted to give in to those big brown eyes pleading for a chocolately treat, Dogs Trust recommends that you give your dog a delicious natural doggy treat that won’t rot his teeth, pile on the pounds or even be fatal.

That way, your dog won’t end up feeling woof this Easter.