National Gundog Association
training of prospective group judges
The National Gundog Association working under the auspices of the KC together with breed clubs is organising breed specific seminars for prospective Gundog Group Judges, under the Judges Development Panel initiative.
The NGA JDP seminar will take place at the Canine Academy, Tollerton, Nottingham on Wednesday 20th February 2008 and Thursday 21st February 2008. Mrs Liz Shewell will act as lead tutor for Sussex Spaniels on the first day and Mrs Jill Holgate will act as lead tutor for Field Spaniels on the second day. Both tutors will be accompanied by other experienced breed people, the format will follow that of our last JDP.
Requirements and information for the course:
• Candidates will be expected to have a thorough working knowledge of the pertinent breed standard and have a working knowledge of canine anatomy and the dynamics of movement.
• The tutorials will be based on a Post Graduate/University style with considerable ‘hands on’ opportunity. The main emphasis will be placed on the understanding of breed type.
• You will be required to place a number of dogs in order of merit and give valid reasons for your decisions in a verbal interview.
• Each candidate will receive the results together with a certificate, posted within two weeks of the completion of the course.
• The number of places available will be restricted with those who have already started the course having priority, no more than fifteen candidates will be accepted.
Prospective candidates entitled to apply for the courses should:
• Already have judged BIS, the Gundog Group
• Already judged another Group and who have awarded CC’s in at least two of the Gundog Group breeds.
• Award CCs in at least three breeds within the Gundog Group
• Have the necessary time to devote to the preparation work involved prior to the seminar.
The cost of the two -day seminar will be £50 per person. This will include all refreshment, buffet lunch and pre-course literature. This does not cover the cost of accommodation.
Candidates who qualify and who wish to attend only one of the breeds covered during the two day seminar may also apply, this will be charged at £25 per breed session. Which includes all refreshment, lunch and pre read literature. Those applying for the whole course will take priority.
If prospective candidates fail to attend the costs of the seminars are non refundable.
The closing date for enrolment is Monday 28th January 2008. Please make cheques payable to the National Gundog Association to Chris Bexon, 59 Derby Road, Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts, NG17 9DH, tel 01623 722037.