Adverts: 0161 709 4576 - Editorial: 0161 709 4571
Mail Order: 0161 709 4578 - Subs: 0161 709 4575 - Webteam: 0161 709 4567

Lab has stomach pumped


A 10-year-old labrador bitch almost died after eating a box of chocolates which had been a Christmas gift for her owner.

Gemma found the box of luxury chocolates while her owner was out of the room and ate the lot. Luckily Martine realised something was wrong when Gemma started charging madly up and down the stairs.

Martine discovered the empty box and didn't waste a second. She says: ‘I took Gemma to the vet who pumped her stomach and saved her life.’

Allan Burns, head of Tesco Pet Insurance explains: "Chocolate contains obromine and caffeine which a dog's digestive system can't take. Every year around Christmas time our customers claim for treatment for dogs that have overdosed on chocolate."Gemma's life-saving treatment cost Martine £250 in vet's bills.