Adverts: 0161 709 4576 - Editorial: 0161 709 4571
Mail Order: 0161 709 4578 - Subs: 0161 709 4575 - Webteam: 0161 709 4567

Dog’s wound was ‘maggot infested’


A TEESIDE woman has been banned from keeping animals for 15 years after allowing her pet dog's stomach wound to become infested with maggots.

Michelle Ward, 33, from Stockton, admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the male crossbreed called Lucky, at Teesside Magistrates Court last week.

The dog had a tumour on his stomach, which became an open wound and infested with maggots for almost a week.

The RSPCA was called and the animal had to be put down.

RSPCA inspector Christine Guy said: ‘This poor dog was in a horrific state when I first saw him. There was nothing the vet could do but put him to sleep, to end his suffering as quickly as possible.

‘Miss Ward was the one who called and asked for help, and that is to her credit, but if she'd acted sooner the outcome may have been different.’

On the day that the RSPCA attended, the dog was found slumped in the garden, wrapped in a towel.

Ward was also ordered to pay £400 costs.