|Border Collie dies after ‘wrong’ injection
THE OWNERS of a Border Collie puppy couple have revealed their heartbreak after she was mistakenly given a lethal injection by a vet in Wales.
Wayne and Lisa Maguire also say they have been asked to pay for the care 10-week-old Molly, received at Downes Veterinary Practice in Aberystwyth, before she died following the blunder on Friday, 4 August.
A letter from the practice's insurers, The Veterinary Defence Society Limited, confirmed Molly's death was caused by 'an inadvertent injection with a solution of Potassium chloride in place of heparinised saline'.
After becoming unwell following the injection of her second routine puppy vaccination, Molly was taken to W J Downes veterinary practice where she was kept in to be monitored.
Mr Maguire said: 'She had her second vaccination jab on the Monday. She reacted to that and it gave her a temperature and diarrhoea.
'She initially recovered, but went downhill again and she went back in and was put on a drip.
'My wife called the vets on the day of the incident and she was told they wanted to keep her in to care for her. The vet called back a few hours later and said Molly had died. She was a healthy pup. We are frustrated, annoyed and upset about it. We wouldn't want anyone to go through what we went through.'
Mr Maguire said the surgery admitted Molly's death was caused by the incorrect storage of medication and has apologised.
A personal letter from the vet who administered the injection, Sharon King, sent to the couple on 30 September, reads: 'I wish to extend my heartfelt apologies to you both for the untimely death of Molly. I realise my apology cannot ease your grief, but I would like you to know that I am truly devastated by the whole event, and that the consequences of my well intentioned actions on 4 August resulted in Molly's death. I hope you can accept both my apologies and sincere condolences for your loss.'