“Breeder of the Year” to be Announced at AKC/Eukanuba National Championship –
Today, the AKC announced the seven group winners for the American Kennel Club’s 2004 Breeder of the Year Award. Sponsored by K9 Advantix™ flea, tick and mosquito control, the award honors breeders who have dedicated their lives to improving the health, temperament and quality of purebred dogs.
"Breeders are the backbone of the sport of purebred dogs. Their lifelong dedication and commitment to preserving a breed's unique heritage and promoting its future makes them unique and honored among the dog fancy," said Ron Menaker, AKC's Chairman of the Board. "We congratulate these role models and mentors in their efforts to produce quality breeding stock, showcase their dogs in show competition and share their knowledge with novice and experienced fanciers alike."
A breeder is chosen from each of the seven groups: Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding. The individual group recipients will receive a medallion in recognition of their achievements on Saturday, January 15, at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, which will be televised live on Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel. At the end of the presentation, the AKC Breeder of the Year will be announced and presented with a specially commissioned award (original artwork by Originals By Springer). Additionally, a canine portraitist will be commissioned to memorialize a prominent dog from the recipient's kennel, and their name will be inscribed on a perpetual trophy on permanent display at the AKC headquarters in New York City.
The group winners are:
- SPORTING: Sandra Bell, Statesboro, GA, San-Jo Cocker Spaniels
- HOUND: Gayle Bontecou, Clinton Corners, NY, Gayleward Scottish Deerhounds
- WORKING: Patricia Turner and Anna M. Quigley, Chehalis, WA, Lajosmegyi Komondorok
- TERRIER: Catherine B. Nelson, Potomac, MD, Pennywise Dandie Dinmont Terriers
- TOY: Dale Adams, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Chindale Japanese Chins
- NON-SPORTING: Cody T. Sickle, Oyster Bay Cove, NY, Cherokee Bulldogs